OFF : sig.

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Jun 5 16:07:30 EDT 1996

> My question: Since Brock was clearly not the sole inventor of the Hawkwind
> phenomenon, what gives him exclusive rights to the name?

        Well, being the only continuous member (depsite occasional brockless
gigs) works on the moral side, but the actual issue is legal.  People
can own the legal right to use the name (thus Iommi hangs on to the
Sabbath name, and Waters didn't manage to shoot down Gilmour and Co's
right to the Floyd name).
        Remember, Brock even lost the right to the name in the Hawklords
era--it was controlled by the record company.

        Probably DS actually owns the name now ;) so whoever he says is
HW is Hawkwind ;)

        But in all fairness, Brock has been a HW member far longer
than anyone else, whether its because he fired them or not.  I
doubt anyone else would have kept the band going so long.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)