OFF : sig.

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Thu Jun 6 04:48:59 EDT 1996

Jill wrote:

> Definitely agree here - Brock's ability to retain band members may
> be questionable but without any doubt he has the ability to recruit
> good people into the band (ok with a couple of exceptions perhaps) and
> on the whole even though they may not always have been great musicians
> they have always added to the overall Hawkwind sound - to its benefit!
>
> That being said however, Chadwick and Davey have both been around a
> considerable while now so it's obviously not completely impossible to
> work with Dave Brock  8-)

Some people have been around for long periods - Bainbridge, Davey,
Chadwick, Lloyd Langton leap to my mind. Plus a number of others
stuck around for years - Calvert, Lemmy. Think of the band as a
company rather than a gang and the turnover isn't too high, apart
from on the drumstool.

Before Richard Chadwick came along HW seem to have recruited lots
of crap drummers then fired 'em when they realised how bad they were.
I bet Whatsisname Thompson (son of the top bass player chappie)
auditioned really well and it was a couple of years  before anyone
had the balls to admit he couldn't drum :-)

Chris