HW: Record Collector / Del Dettmar int.

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jun 6 04:48:20 EDT 1996

#4 in a series of 6      #1 now trading at $16 so look after 'em ;)

Del Dettmar - "synthesizer 1970-74, currently playing "double-pitted
axe" by a lakeside in Canada"

" A democracy? I dunno. Whoever recorded themost got his own way - and
that was Dave.
     I started out as a road manager for several bands, usually related
to the NEMS agencies. The first band I worked with was Cochise, and when
I left, Doug Smith asked me to roadie for Hawkwind. Then one day DikMik
decided to leave because he couldn't face travelling, so he gave me his
synth.
    We'd all been told since the Fifties that we already had a Utopia,
you know, that "never had it so good" stuff. So people were already used
to that idea. But I wouldn't say Hawkwind were ever expecting such a
thing to happen. Actually the word "hippie" didn't really apply. That
was an American thing.
    The dynamics of a lot of bands only seem to last three or four
years, so I upped and left for Canada. I thought England sucked! It was
no longer a resource-based country, and that's even more true today.
    I play music most days. My instrument is a double-pitted wood axe.
It has one string attached to a pick-up, which goes through a variety of
electronic equipment. I like to buy things like harmonizers when I see
them. And I work with dancers now and then and release the odd CD."

Ok gang, who do we want tomorrow? DikMik or Terry Ollis?

<grin>

--
Jon Browne