OFF but ON: Timothy Leary

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jun 6 19:09:14 EDT 1996

M Holmes writes:

> > Ob book: "Storming Heaven", by Jay Stevens (on Leary, LSD, & the
> > counter-culture)
>
> Yep it was interesting. For other angles on this see "Acid Dreams - LSD
> and the CIA" - a history of spies and their involvement with
> psychedelics and how this actually created much of the counterculture.
> Also "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" is worth reading for a view on
> the producers of LSD and how the whole show kept running until the
> "Operation Julie" bust in Britain in 1978.

And I dunno if you'll find it in a book but how Britain adopted the
idea of using LSD in psychiatric hospitals ostensibly first as an
experimental treatment but subsequently (long after all scientific
assessment of the drug had ceased) continuing its use as long-term
therapy(?) giving some emotionally disturbed people a dose a week
over a period of several years.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk