OFF but ON: Timothy Leary

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Jun 6 16:05:59 EDT 1996

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, J Strobridge wrote:

> And I dunno if you'll find it in a book but how Britain adopted the
> idea of using LSD in psychiatric hospitals ostensibly first as an
> experimental treatment but subsequently (long after all scientific
> assessment of the drug had ceased) continuing its use as long-term
> therapy(?) giving some emotionally disturbed people a dose a week
> over a period of several years.

I remember reading in a book about drug pathology that one of the uses of
LSD was (is?) in the treatment of terminally ill patients.  The loss of
ego (to use the technical term) brought about by ingesting LSD was used to
help guide the terminally ill to come to terms with their impending demise,
and to enable them to view better their place in the universe.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Sundial, _Acid Yantra_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.