Harvest Moon (Was Re: BOC: SLC concert review)

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Tue Jun 11 08:15:56 EDT 1996

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, M R Godwin wrote:

> MG replies: Fair enough, I only heard [Harvest Moon] once. Maybe one
day it will be
> released and I will get used to it. The way I remember it, the guitar solo
> was startling, flamboyant, all the things you get from Buck when he's on
> form. But unlike 'See you in black', it didn't IMMEDIATELY strike me as
> having a memorable tune or riff.

It's the lyrics dude! The song just has a great atmosphere.....You listen
to the lyrics and think "Wow, that's kinda mysterious, what's it all about?"
Here's my best shot at remembering them....[Note: these are not official
lyrics and may be wrong]

This place has a history
The Spaniards settled here
They burned the town and fields
They moved away from here
My grandma often told me
She knew it peaceful here
The war took all the vigour
War took the best from here

When the wind turns
And blows the leaves from the trees     (Harvest Moon)

I see the days grow shorter
I feel the nights grow cold             (Harvest Moon)
Young people feeling restless
Old people feeling old                  (Harvest Moon)
I see the darkness clearer [glimmer?]
I feel a presence here                  (Harvest Moon)
A change in the weather
I love this time of year

The Colbys worked that valley
They gave that land a go
They built a thriving business
Then came that early snow
They lost their livestock that year
They lost their sheep and goats
They sold the farm in springtime
Went south to work for boats [??]

When the wind turns
And blows the leaves from the trees             (Harvest Moon)

I see the days grow shorter [.....etc....]

[Guitar solo]

Ten years in this farmhouse
Ten years come this may
My simple needs are covered
Since grandma passed away
Long time since there's been trouble
That's what the people say
I told the new man
When I sold the farm today

When the wind turns
And blows the leaves from the trees             (Harvest Moon)

I see the days grow shorter
I feel the nights grow cold                     (Harvest Moon)
Young people feeling restless
Old people feeling old                          (Harvest Moon)
I see the darkness clearer
I feel a presence here                          (Harvest Moon)
A change in the weather
I sense such evil here                          (Harvest Moon)
I hear some startling noises
I don't go out at night                         (Harvest Moon)
Since Barlow's [Margot's??] youngest daughter
Disappeared from sight                          (Harvest Moon)
I know they'll find her some day
They find them all that way                     (Harvest Moon)
After the thaw in springtime
The snow melts away                             (Harvest Moon)
I see the darkness clearer
I feel a presence here                          (Harvest Moon)
A change in the weather
I love this time of year

IMO a truly great song. What starts out as an interesting story suddenly
turns into the X-files or Stephen King in the second half, but without
any resolution or explanation.  The truth is out there.....

Dave