HW boring ?...

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Wed Jun 12 10:17:46 EDT 1996

>I'm a little late here (I just joined the list when the LIS discussion
>was ebbing out). Just purchased Love In Space yesterday, great fold-out
>sleeve, fantastic artwork. Too bad its so damn boring!!

*moving out of lurking mode*

Ah yes, hello from the silent side of the list... This little snip above
from a letter by Chris makes me step out of the shadows to ask you Hawkwind
fans on the list one question which has been burning my lips for quite some
time.

Okay, I'm on this list for BOC, though I do also read HW messages because
I'm interested in rock in a general way and I like to know the going-ons
from everywhere. Anyway, this to say that I am not very familiar with the
band, though I *have* listened to a few of their tracks. Mainly because I'm
also a science-fiction fan and that I was intrigued to read/hear Michael
Moorcock's song lyrics. But... Well, I found the few tracks I heard kind of
boring. Now, I have no idea which titles those were, so don't even bother
asking me, but I found those very, uh, monotonous ? They all sounded kind of
the same. Since I'm also a progressive rock fan, this sounded bland to me.
But this has been more frustrating for me than anything else, because I'd
really like to like the band, if you see what I mean ? I mean, there aren't
that many bands out there which use sci-fi lyrics after all... So the
question I wanted to as you guys is : are all the HW songs like that ? (I
mean, I've heard it say from various people that they were, that it was a
voluntary choice from the band, sort of a HW trademark or something...), and
if not what album would you recommend me for starters, one which wouldn't
sound all that boring, huh ? I'd really like to give the band another try...

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm