DR. Music Song key?

Ted Jackson jr. TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Jun 12 11:30:29 EDT 1996

> Theo writes:
>
> >It's a safe bet that it's in either E, Em, Am or F# since virtually
> every BOC song is in one of those keys!
>
> Well, this is true for many rock/heavy-metal songs, but I wouldn't call it
> a "safe bet".  Actually, many rock songs are in other songs, but the
> guitars/bass de-tune (case in point - most of KISS' songs are in keys
> like E-flat and A-flat, with the guitars/bass tuned down half a step and
> playing in E and A respectively).
>
> ObBOC-song-not-in-E-A-or-F#:  Death Valley Nights (Gm, I believe)
>
> John
True.  Classic case is early Van Halen.  I was thinking in strictly
guitar playing terms, and in what position you're playing in.
Nonetheless, most of BOC's material is in the keys I mentioned.  I
never thought Buck detuned, but I know he uses a capo to get DFtR
into his vocal range better.
theo