HW boring ?...

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Wed Jun 12 11:26:44 EDT 1996

Alex delurked to write of the Hawks:

<snip>
> from everywhere. Anyway, this to say that I am not very familiar with the
> band, though I *have* listened to a few of their tracks.

<snip>

> Moorcock's song lyrics. But... Well, I found the few tracks I heard kind of
> boring. Now, I have no idea which titles those were, so don't even bother
> asking me, but I found those very, uh, monotonous ? They all sounded kind of

Yeah, well that's kind of the point. Music is about creating a mood and
emotion (IMO) and the HW mood has always been to get people *out of it*.
So the music induces a kind of trance (esp live). The thing with HW is
that different album and even tracks on albums sound radically
different so it's not possible to generalise.

> the same. Since I'm also a progressive rock fan, this sounded bland to me.

So you'll be familiar with Pink Floyd, Can, Gong, Van Der Graf Generator
etc who all use(d) repetition and drones to create an atmosphere?

> if not what album would you recommend me for starters, one which wouldn't
> sound all that boring, huh ? I'd really like to give the band another try...

Levitation, Hawklords, Amazing Music Astounding Sounds

Chris