OFF: Duran Duran

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Wed Jun 12 21:48:23 EDT 1996

>Yes, their music may be cool and awesome and all that, but I get nauseous
>when I hear "Don't say a prayer for me now; save it for the morning
>after"... for the same reason a similar reaction occurs regarding the
>lyrics to Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young".  In other words, I
>personally ***(IMHOx1000)*** don't want to support a band that bashes
>Christianity like that, i.e. "Jesus, Schmeezus.  Sex with me would be
>better than the hereafter if you'd only try it."

Hmm... that's weird. I never thought of the lyrics to that song as being
religious. I'm not quite sure if you're saying they're pro- or
anti-Christian, but I personally think they're neither one. I don't see
what's wrong about those lyrics. I mean, I think it's more a figure of
speech than anything else. If you look at the rest of the lyrics, those
lines in the chorus are the only ones which have any religious connotations
whatsoever, and I think it wasn't meant to be taken as such. Only a figure
of speech, that's what I think.

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm