OFF: The Darwin files

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jun 13 14:20:46 EDT 1996

Newsgroups: alt.peeves
Subject: Paging Mr. Chuck Darwin
Date: 12 Mar 1996 18:36:51 -0600

I am astonished-- nay, I am _boggled_!
It seems our patron Darwin may indeed be asleep at the celestial
switchboard, because this afternoon, I saw what will probably go down
in my books as the dumbest fucking thing of 1996(*) go completely
unpunished.

A number of us humble students decided, over lunch, to run some
collective errands and finish up with lunch at a relatively cheap
all-you-can-eat buffet.  In the process of running hither and yon, we
found ourselves on a highway right near the Industrial Spur.  It's
called the Industrial Spur because it's an area that sees a whole
shitload of heavy, industrial-type traffic.

We see several cars slow down ahead of us.  For a moment, the cause is
unknown, until we approach closer.  Then, we see the difficulty-- some
incredible fuckmunch was deliberately taking his car from the opposite
side of the highway over the median and into what was for him a lane
of oncoming traffic.

Horns ensued from other drivers.  Our driver was largely too stunned
to join in the chorus, as his jaw was sitting in his lap at such a
vision of sheer stupidity.  He passed us, and then we saw where he was
going-- he was heading, through oncoming traffic on a major highway,
to an off-ramp.

The astute, if they are familiar with the generalized Illinois highway
set-up, will probably already have realized the flaw with this plan.
We in the car had already spotted this one, and had in fact pulled
over onto the shoulder of the highway, making eager comments to the
effect of, "Oh, this is gonna be _good_!"

The problem, of course, is that what seemed an off-ramp to this inbred
refugee from a British dingleberry plantation was in fact an on-ramp
for those of us cognizant enough to drive on the proper side of the
road.  Further, as already noted, this area had a good amount of
industrial-type traffic, like trailers and double trailers loaded with
Heavy Things.  And to top it off, geography had blessed this
particular on-ramp with something of a blind-curve quality.

We were eagerly awaiting the frantic bleat of semi horn as it saw said
puss-lapper coming at him in the wrong lane, all but cheering what we
hoped was the inevitable.

But alas, no, 'twere not to be.  No chance to skip my afternoon duties
at the police station giving witness, "Yes, officer, honest to God,
this moron just..."  No chance to see a moron removed brutally from
the gene pool.  No nothin'.  He hopped another median, and went on
with his driving.

Darwin, Darwin, why hast thou forsaken us?!

*       Dumbest thing I personally witnessed, anyway.  Politics
remains not only dumber than I imagine, but dumber than I _can_
imagine.