OFF: Duran Duran

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Thu Jun 13 10:45:06 EDT 1996

Keith A. Henderson continues to dazzle me :

>Well, this doesn't really matter to anyone else I suppose, but I don't give a
>rat's patooie about lyrics...I only ever notice them at all when they just
>happen to be too bizarre *not* to notice....you know, like Amon Duul II's
>'Green bubbles came out of the crystal thing....'   Huh????

I also enjoy those kind of lyrics, but really, I'm amazed... Well, it is
really all up to you, but I'm a bit sorry for you. I mean, lyrics are a huge
part of what makes music (and especially those bands which we both like) so
good and interesting. Too bad you won't get into it.

>Otherwise, they might as well be singing in a made-up language - see Vander, C.
>To me, vocals are just an additional instrument to the mix....an important one
>I should add.

I agree about that : vocals *are* an additional instrument to the mix, but
they're not *just* that. If you listen to them, they sometimes give an
additional dimension to the song. It's like videos. They're not a full part
of a song, only a means to advertise it, and yet... some otherwise rather
"bland" songs ;-) will suddenly become very interesting. Because you start
associating images to the music, pictures which will come back to your mind
when you hear the song. In the same way, some songs which I didn't like all
that much I suddenly started liking when I started listening to the lyrics.
The rule also works reversed. I'm a songwriter myself, and I don't always
like all the stuff I write. But sometimes, my guitarist friend who writes
the music manages to pull off something really great for those lyrics I
don't like much and they start sounding really great to me. Call that the
"magic of rock" if you will... *smile*

>> "My Antarctica"
>
>There's an oxymoron for you.....

Hmm ? What do you mean ? I'm not familiar with that word, "oxymoron"...

Alex S. Garcia.

P.S. Am I just hallucinating or did Keith completely avoid talking about DD
? *laughs* Oh well...

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm