OFF: Re: Nominee for this year's Darwin Awards

Martyn White white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU
Thu Jun 13 11:09:32 EDT 1996

        This sounds like an urban legend to me. Its amazing how
stories can be passed on and people believe them to be true.
For example, someone told me the story of how a guy in scuba gear
was found in the middle of a forest in the Pacific North-West
lying dead with every bone in his body broken.  It seems that
there had been a forest fire and helicopters had gone with giant
scoops to pick up sea water to drop on it.  The unfortunate diver
was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
        Now someone in a bar in North Carolina told me this story
and I believed it.  Then I was talking to someone who was over
from England visiting and someone had told him exactly the same
story.  Except that it had happened in France.  He had believed it
toa.  Then it dawned on us both that this was probably an urban legend.
        Any basis in fact?  Opinions anyone?

Totally off-topic ramblings over

Martyn