OFF: Nominee for this year's Darwin Awards [via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Thu Jun 13 11:34:05 EDT 1996

> It seems that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit (Jet
> Assisted Take Off - actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give
> heavy  military transport planes an extra "push" for taking off from
> short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert
> and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO
> unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO!

For some reason, I'm reminded of one of my favourite films, "The Big
Bus", about the world's first atomic-powered bus. One of the guys hired
to drive - I mean pilot - it, has the unfortunate tendency to faint at
the wheel. He's nicknamed "Shoulders", not because of his broad
shoulders, but because of his other unfortunate tendency -- to drive on
the shoulder of the road.....  :)

Anyone else see that film?

Dave

"Watch out!!! He's got a broken milk carton!!"