OFF: was Duran Duran

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Thu Jun 13 11:50:33 EDT 1996

Alex responds with....

> Keith A. Henderson continues to dazzle me :
>
> >Well, this doesn't really matter to anyone else I suppose, but I don't give
> >a rat's patooie about lyrics...I only ever notice them at all when they just
> >happen to be too bizarre *not* to notice....you know, like Amon Duul II's
> >'Green bubbles came out of the crystal thing....'   Huh????
>
> I also enjoy those kind of lyrics, but really, I'm amazed... Well, it is
> really all up to you, but I'm a bit sorry for you. I mean, lyrics are a huge
> part of what makes music (and especially those bands which we both like) so
> good and interesting. Too bad you won't get into it.

I suppose it's just that I really don't see why I would want to really care
about the feelings/inspirations/political leanings-whatever, of people I've
never met.  I mean what's really sad is that there are people out there who
really *did* believe that Kurt Cobain was someone who should be thought of as
a spokesman for their generation of lost souls.

I don't really care for Nirvana (their music was about as inventive as dirt,
and their sound was invented in Minneapolis (or the UK) from my perspective,
not Seattle), but I *do* like Jane's Addiction, one of the very few
'alternative' groups that actually created something new.  But whatever it was
that Perry Farrell was trying to say isn't anything I want to even try to
understand.  He's pretty frightening I'm sure.

So what happens if you hate/disagree with the lyrics??  Does that make a
musical composition less enjoyable??  Not for me.

> >> "My Antarctica"
> >
> >There's an oxymoron for you.....
>
> Hmm ? What do you mean ? I'm not familiar with that word, "oxymoron"...

Simply speaking, it means 'Contradiction in terms'.....all I'm trying to say,
is that Antarctica isn't "owned" by anyone, so it can't be "mine".

> P.S. Am I just hallucinating or did Keith completely avoid talking about DD
> ? *laughs* Oh well...

Yeah, I didn't want to sound *too* negative.... :)

Keith H. (FAA)