OFF: Lyrics (was Duran Duran)

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Thu Jun 13 12:56:56 EDT 1996

Keith A. Henderson explains :

>> lyrics are a huge
>> part of what makes music (and especially those bands which we both like) so
>> good and interesting. Too bad you won't get into it.
>
>I suppose it's just that I really don't see why I would want to really care
>about the feelings/inspirations/political leanings-whatever, of people I've
>never met.

Hmm... Do you ever read any novels ? I mean, it's the same. Lyrics don't
just convey messages, but often tell *stories* as well. Look at BOC's
lyrics, they most of the time tell stories. I'm listening to "Monsters"
right now, for instance, which has some of the finest lyrics BOC has
written, IMO, with a really funny story - not to mention "Imaginos", which
is ENTIRELY based on the lyrics. If you don't listen to them, then you'll
never understand what the whole fuss is about.

>So what happens if you hate/disagree with the lyrics??  Does that make a
>musical composition less enjoyable??  Not for me.

I don't think so. It doesn't really matter. You can listen and enjoy songs
if you don't like the lyrics. You just won't pay too much attention to them
on those songs and just concentrate on the music if you like the music. But
if you listen to the lyrics and you like them, then that will definitely
make you enjoy the song more.

>> >There's an oxymoron for you.....
>>
>> Hmm ? What do you mean ? I'm not familiar with that word, "oxymoron"...
>
>Simply speaking, it means 'Contradiction in terms'.....all I'm trying to say,
>is that Antarctica isn't "owned" by anyone, so it can't be "mine".

Oh, okay. Well, if you listen to the lyrics :-) you'll find out that they
don't really mean the "real" Antarctica. It's just a figure of speech. They
imply a place difficult to reach, secret, deserted, etc... See, that's also
why lyrics are important : they help you understand things which you might
otherwise misunderstand.

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm