OFF: The Liberty Bell rings out once more

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Jun 13 13:00:17 EDT 1996

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, J Strobridge wrote:

> M Holmes writes:
>
> > Pace the previous discussion about the Communications Decency Act.
> > Apparently it lost 3-0 in a Philadelphia Court to a sundy bunch of
> > libertarians and fellow travellers.

Um... you forgot to mention the industry types.  They're more anxious than
anybody to get this off the books, for very obvious reasons.  (But we can
pretend it was really the Libertarians, right?)

> Ah - but I think it's going to an appeal court  8-(

Yes, that's right.  The next (and highest) level of appeal is the US
Supreme Court.  However, the wording of the recent judgement was so
strong, it is almost certainly to be upheld at the Supreme Court level.
Not that it really affects folks in Edinburgh, anyway.

> Watch this space....

Um.. I'd much rather watch a much more appropriate space---like the "Blue
Ribbon Campaign WWW page---but I'm sure some "kind soul" will no doubt
keep BOC-L apprised with a blow-by-blow account and obligatory editorial
commentary....

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Sky Cries Mary, _This Timeless Turning_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.