OFF: Re: Nominee for this year's Darwin Awards

Frank Weil frankw at COMM.MOT.COM
Thu Jun 13 13:43:11 EDT 1996

Martyn White wrote:
>         This sounds like an urban legend to me. Its amazing how
> stories can be passed on and people believe them to be true.
> For example, someone told me the story of how a guy in scuba gear
> was found in the middle of a forest in the Pacific North-West
> lying dead with every bone in his body broken.  It seems that
> there had been a forest fire and helicopters had gone with giant
> scoops to pick up sea water to drop on it.  The unfortunate diver
> was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>         Now someone in a bar in North Carolina told me this story
> and I believed it.  Then I was talking to someone who was over
> from England visiting and someone had told him exactly the same
> story.  Except that it had happened in France.  He had believed it
> toa.  Then it dawned on us both that this was probably an urban legend.
>         Any basis in fact?  Opinions anyone?
>
> Totally off-topic ramblings over

See the URL http://www.urbanlegends.com/death/scuba_forest_fire.html
for a discussion about this very topic.   In general, the site
http://www.urbanlegends.com/ is pretty good.

Frank

Frank Weil | frankw at comm.mot.com | phone: (847) 576-3110 | fax: (847) 576-3240

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned
my contempt.  He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for
him the spinal cord would fully suffice.         -- Albert Einstein