OFF: Re: Nominee for this year's Darwin Awards

John McIntyre MCINTYRE at PA.MSU.EDU
Thu Jun 13 15:13:17 EDT 1996

>From: Martyn White <white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU>

>For example, someone told me the story of how a guy in scuba gear
>was found in the middle of a forest in the Pacific North-West
>lying dead with every bone in his body broken.  It seems that
>there had been a forest fire and helicopters had gone with giant
>scoops to pick up sea water to drop on it.  The unfortunate diver
>was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That story appeared on another list I'm on and was dutifully
discredited.  I did not save the evidence cited, but I do remember
the evidence as seeming conclusive that the story was another
urban myth.

While I'm here, my compliments to all involved in the Hawkwind covers
tape project.  I received the tapes yesterday and am looking forward
to having some time to listen to them.  Alas, that won't be until
next week as I'm playing three gigs this weekend.  Saturday and Sunday
at 1PM I'll be playing a live soundtrack to Buster Keaton's _The General_
and then Sunday at 4:45PM, my rock band will be playing at a charity
fundraiser.  Well, we're scheduled for 4:45.  The promoters have
scheduled seventeen bands in seven hours.  That allows each band a twenty
minute set with five minutes between sets.  Somehow I don't think that
schedule will hold. (-8

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University