OFF: Re: Jesus Saves, but who collects the interest? (erm, maybe those that re-wrote the bible to suit their needs?)

gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK
Thu Jun 13 15:38:02 EDT 1996

>On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Alex S. Garcia wrote:
>> >I can't imagine why this stuff bothers Christians so much anyway.  If
>> >their faith is so weak that it can be shaken by some irreverence, then
>> >maybe they're barking up the wrong tree anyway.
>> You don't get it. It's not a matter of faith being weak, but of
>> respect. You should respect other people's religious beliefs and songs
>> which "bash" on Christianity are not *respectful* and that's what
>> bothers Christians.
>Exactly.  My faith feels no weakening when I hear such things, just a
>lack of respect.  Many non-Christians don't necessarily understand that,
>much in the same way that I don't empathize well with - say - people
>on the disadvantaged end of racial prejudice.  Yes, there's a problem out
>there, but it's not an important issue to me because I don't "feel their
>pain".  Same thing here.  Christian-bashing is similar to racial bashing
>is similar to Islam-bashing is similar to *any* kind of bashing because
>it shows a lack of respect.

  Ha, Christians wanting respect! What, like the kinda "respect" that
Christianity has shown to others throughout history (and right up to the
present day)? The kinda "respect" that says "be a Christian or die".
  Maybe if Christians thought for themselves I'd have some respect for them.
As it is, they are a group of people that have caused so much suffering on
this planet that it's difficult not to *hate* them. Then again, Christianity
puts enough hatred into this world without me adding more. And what a fine
Christian you are if you don't care about those on the receiving end of
racial hatred (that is what you said above isn't it?). Do you only pay
attention to the bits of the Bible that suit you? Not that it matters what
the Bible says...it's been re-written numerous times anyway.
  Oh well, suppose I'll burn in hell now (and probably with Duran Duran
playing endlessly in the background as I roast!).

  Peace and love brothers and sisters,

  Dave

P.S. Hawkwind, Hawkwind Hawkwind. Okay, not *completely* off topic! And yes,
I do think this thread should be killed, (though of course only after *I've*
thrown in my opinions!!).