HW: Church of Hawkwind vs Space Bandits

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Fri Jun 14 11:39:54 EDT 1996

> 1) Thank f**k we're getting back on topic - take a bow Andrew.
>
> 2) er....I'm afraid I don't have CoH, but Space Bandits is IMO, a good, but > > not fantastic HW album. Plenty of rock numbers, my fave being 'Out of the > >Shadows', which _almost_ sounded like Faith No More to me ! (in parts :-))
>Black Elk Speaks is...er...spoken, but cool nonetheless. The mood becomes mor
>forlorn for the highly atomspheric, synthy 'Birds'. Hope this helps.

I listened to SB in the car a couple of days ago and I must admit it came over
better than I remembered it (perhaps it was the roadnoise ;-) Anyways, Images
is a fine starter, and I've loved Black Elk Speaks since the first listen.
I reckon Wings is the only filler on the album since it doesn't do a great
deal for me, but then ya get Out of the Shadows which is again a decent track.
The rest kind of happens without too much focus, but is pleasant nonetheless.
TV Suicide has that gorgeous floaty synth sound just after the explosion
that only Hawkwind seem to make (as on Blue Shift, Palace Springs-Golden Void)
which occasionally makes me want to stomp on my guitar, buy an expensive
synth and learn to play keyboards instead. I'm sure my neighbours would
agree ;-)

I haven't got CoH but from the descriptions here, I'd probably really enjoy it.

Tim

ObCD: Sepultura - _Chaos A.D._