Space Bandits (was Re: Jesus Saves the Church of Hawkwind)

Stier, Christopher Christopher.Stier at LEXIS-NEXIS.COM
Fri Jun 14 09:03:00 EDT 1996

>From: Frank Weil
>To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
>Subject: Space Bandits (was Re: Jesus Saves the Church of Hawkwind)
>Date: Friday, June 14, 1996 10:55AM
>
>Guido Vacano wrote:
>> Andrew says--
>> > My friend Phil says it's too synthetic, he doesn't like it.  I can get
>> > it for about $7, he says don't bother...  If I had a choice of Church
>> > or Space Bandits, (which I do), which would be recommended first?
>>
>> CoH is definitely one of my favorites. I think the term "synthetic" is
>> unfair, since it implies a lack of feeling in the music. But practically
>> all of the songs, IMHO, pack a unique emotional punch. It does have
>> synthesizers and samples, etc, but that, of course, does not mean it
>> isn't good stuff.
>>
>> Space Bandits might be more accessible though.
>
>While I think CoH is OK, it never really grabbed me.  Space Bandits,
>on the other hand, I think is a very underrated album.  It has several
>different feelings to it, unlike the albums of many of today's groups
>where you can hardly distinguish one song from another.
>
>The first four songs on SB are especially good, IMHO.  The part of
>Black Elk Speaks where the old Native American recites the traditional
>prayer is very cool.  BTW, that prayer, in a slightly different form,
>is in the book "Black Elk Speaks" which I am reading now.  Interesting
>reading if you like that sort of thing.
>
>Frank
>ObCD: Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
>ObNextUp: Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix - New World's Fair
>
> --
======
>Frank Weil | frankw at comm.mot.com | phone: (847) 576-3110 | fax: (847)
576-3240

>We are not disorganized.  We just have a kind of organization that
>transcends understanding.            -- Jacques Barzaghi

I would agree that Space Bandits is more accessable but unfortunately it
starts to peter out towards the end.  CoH has one of my favorite tracks
'Fall of Earth City' on it though.  Poetry harking back to the days of
Calvert.

By the way, any State side dwellers interested in trading some HW vids
or tapes?  Please drop me a line by privat e-mail

Chris