HW: The Quest for Levitation

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Jun 14 13:38:19 EDT 1996

>I liked the books, and I love BOC's "Black blade". I don't like Elric's face
>on the cover, but the rest of the artwork is magnificent, and not only on

I know many people who love that artist and thing he's the best to ever
do Elric.  I can't recall his name right now.  He did the Berkley printings
of the Elric books, and is one the cover of Live Chronicles also.... I didn't
like it that much at first (made Elric look feminine, almost), but I grew to
like his artwork a lot.  I like the interior artwork a lot.

>What can I say ? Well, for the moment I like it. A lot. Even more than the
>little I've heard from "Levitation". Weird though when you're used to seeing
>Elric in music through "Black blade". Oooooohhh... A new song has just
>started and it gives me shivers up my spine... Wait... "Zarozinia" is the

I like that  track a lot also.  Overall I prefer the Live Chronicles album,
because
it has songs (Wizards of Pan Tang, Dragons & Fables, Moonglum, Rocky
Paths  (a lot of Huw)) not on CotBS, plus some classic Hawkwind tracks
(Master of the Universe, Angels of Death, Magnu, Assault & Battery) thrown
in, but there's some that are better done in the studio.  Both Zarozina versions
are good, but I prefer the studio version.  Ditto for Needle Gun, Pulsing
Cavern,
Sleep of a thousand tears, etc.  And one of my favorite tracks, "Elric the
Enchanter
 part I", is eliminated completely, except for one verse spoken (though
effectively) as
poetry...   The only way I'm really happy (though I like both a lot) is to
use my tape
which alternates between the two...

>One question : why is there a song called "Needle gun" ? I don't recall
>reading about a needle gun (or any kind of gun, for that matter) anywhere in
>Elric's Cycle... is my memory failing me ? :-(

Well... sort of.  The Needle Gun is a trademark of Jerry Cornelius, who is
another aspect of the Eternal Champion (like Hawkmoon, Corum, Erekose,
Ulric, etc.) and in that sense tied to Elric.   There is sort of a crossover
story,
"Elric at the End of Time", which isn't too popular though I liked it...  More
Michael Moorcock anyways.  And it's a terrific song.  I have a feeling they
wrote this before deciding to do the whole concept album...

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)