HW: Michael Moorcock (was The Quest for Levitation)

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Jun 14 16:16:38 EDT 1996

>>"Elric at the End of Time", which isn't too popular though I liked it...  More

>Yeah, I *do* remember that story... I also liked it a lot. Wasn't that in
>"The sailor on the seas of fate" (my favorite Elric book, BTW) ? I remember
>several Eternal Champions meeting (among which Hawkmoon and Corum if my
>memory serves me right) but I don't recall Jery Cornelius being included in
>the bunch... The song itself is pretty good though, I agree *smile*

No, it was a book set outside the normal Elric saga, and contained the title
story
(more of a novella, really), "The Last Enchantment", (another Elric story),
both set
at different times in Elric's career.  It also contained some of MM's early work
(I mean like when he was 15), Sojan Shieldbearer, very pulp...

Elric twice met other incarnations (in EatEoT, though in Jerry's universe
they didn't
meet), once in Sailor on the Seas of Fate, when he, Corum, Erekose, and Hawkmoon
united to defeat some alien sorcerers, and later in The Vanishing Tower, he,
Erekose,
and Corum (this was earlier for Corum, later for Elric) worked to take over
a tower...

>Hmm... I've been wondering about something else. I'm surprised Moorcock
>himself hasn't written these lyrics. I was expecting to find his signature
>on these songs. I know he did write some songs (quite a few even, I believe
>?) for HW, but which ones and on which albums ? (is there a list somewhere ?

On Live Chronicles, there are several poems/songs that were written by him, and
it's him on many of them doing the pieces.  "Narration", "Dragon Song",
"Dead God's
Homecoming", some others to.  He did stuff with them earlier on Warrior at
the Edge
of Time, with "The Wizard Blew His Nose" (um, "Horn", sorry), several other
pieces
that were more poetry with (IMHO) repetetive music in the background.  He
co-wrote
"Kings of Speed", which I like a lot, and is a song, not poetry...   He
collaborated with
them on two prior albums, though another post already sent should cover
those since
I can't recall which...
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)