OFF: swords & sidearms

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Fri Jun 14 19:33:48 EDT 1996

>>Thanks for clarifying this for me, Andy ! It makes a bit more sense now...
>>though - apart from his being another incarnation of the Eternal Champion -
>>I don't see what Jerry Cornelius has to do in Elric's story ! It's kinda
>>weird to see the word "gun" used in a sword & sorcery background...
>
>Oh, I dunno.  One of my favorite swords & sorcery novels was "The Guns of
>Avalon", by Roger Zelazny...

Oh, I'm a huge Zelazny fan myself (he's my favorite writer), and I love his
Amber series... I guess what I meant is that the world created by Moorcock
for the Elric stories was very much heroic-fantasy oriented and without any
scientific stuff in it, so that's why I find the gun reference kind of strange.

>That particular track almost seems to imply a double meaning, of drugs...
>
>Elric often used drugs to supplant his strength, primarily in attempts to get
>rid of (his addiction to) Stormbringer, as it were...  you can view it both
>ways,
>though I'd say the needle gun is definitely meant to refer to Stormbringer
>itself...

Yeah, that's what I figured when someone posted earlier that the needle gun
was Jerry Cornelius' equivalent of Stormbringer. Probably some kind of
symbol... *smile*

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm