OFF: tapes / CDs

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Sat Jun 15 16:55:05 EDT 1996

>> >         BTW, the guy at that shop told me you couldn't find HW on tape, is
>> that true ?
>
>you may not be able to find them where you are. i have the following hw
>albums on cassette- spacebandits,live chronicles,repeat performance.
>a friend has an original issue space ritual.

Good to know. But I guess they're probably not available anymore, since I
can't even get them as imports. Probably could find some HW tapes in used
record shops in the States, though...

>>I'm not really a CD fan.
>
>they do not wear out like a tape, and are not easily damaged like vinyl.
>also,try skipping to a favorite track,or playing the album in random
>order with a cassette.

I'm aware of all those things. It's just that :
1) CDs are still quite expensive (at least here in France)
2) I don't like much the format (they take up too much room, especially
compared to tapes)
3) I'd have to buy all my 500+ albums all over again in CD format so to have
a good looking collection (I'd hate to have half BOC records in tape and the
other half in CD, I'd rather have the albums of a same artist all together)
4) And most of all (*laughs*) I'm not very well equipped to listen to CDs. I
have a small CD player but it tends to heat up after 2-3 listens (it's
really an old player !), and then I have my CD-ROM on my computer - but
that's not the ideal, eh ? And since I can't afford to buy new hi-fi
material... I stick to what I have. And that's fine with me, I like tapes.

As for tapes wearing out, yeah, sure... nevertheless, there are some tapes
I've had for over ten years and they're still in perfect condition. Okay,
maybe I don't listen to those as often as my BOC collection for instance.
Hmm... I'd do with a new copy of FOUO - *that* tape is in quite a bad shape
now ! But what I like also about tapes is that they're small, they don't
take up much room and you can even put one in your pocket ! And they're hard
to damage. (take a CD and fold it in half, see what happens ! *grin*).

>until they come out with thumbnail sized music chips or crystals,cd's
>are it.i know that a lot of people still swear by vinyl,but i do not
>happen to be one of them.

Oh, I don't swear by vinyl - do I still appreciate to hear those cracking
sounds once in a while *smile* But yeah, I'm eagerly waiting for the
thumbnail sized chips. THAT would definitely be an interesting format !

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm