HW:space bandits- was: my belief is better than yours....

SKARSOL skarsol at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat Jun 15 15:42:17 EDT 1996

don't know if changing the header worked, but:
gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK wrote:

>   Anyway, onto Space Bandits. This is one of my favourite HW albums, and I
> see it as the start of the truly magnificent period they are now in.
>   Has there been much discussion as to Huw Lloyd Langtons contribution to
> the Hawks? As much as I like some of his HW songs, I can't help feeling that
> HW improved so much on his departure. I think he gave them too much of
> standard "rock" sound, particularly with his never-ending solos. Still, only
> my opinion!
>
> Davei, too, love space bandits. i first encountered hw in 83 via space
ritual.my first draw was moorcock's involvement.for about five years,
i thought spaceritual was their only album!(some schmuck had managed
to convince me that a bunch of no-talent acid heads had put out the
album and disappeared.)
    in 1986, i met a guy in missouri(i was hitching aimlessly around the
U.S.),who told me that hw had a whole slew of albums out,and that mm had
big parts on some of them.without saying so,i thought he was full of
shit.
in 1990, i found space bandits in a mainstream record store,picked it
up,fell in love.  about a week later,i heard on the radio that hw was
coming to town.
bam! i'm there.fantastic show,but lousy time,as one of my teeth was
trying valiantly to leap out of my skull!
annyway- the jist of this is that space bandits might be considered
responsible for my NEAR-religious dedication to the band.
HOWEVER- i do not agree with your oppinion that this is a great moment
in hw's history.in fact i think it borders on shameful.of course it has
its good points,i still love it,but imo it just seems lazy.and while
i like ron tree the person,i think it was a terrible piece of judgement
that got him on the roster.i am still waiting to see some shred of
talent to justify his presence.
i am hoping like hell that  he does not someday replace davey on bass.
if that ever happens, i'm history.
   huw-   i miss the hell out of huw. i think he sucks big-time solo,
but i think hw was better for his input.i LIKE guitar leads,and brock
only wants to play the machine that plays itself.
  damn! what am i saying?!? it sounds like i'm bashing the band! now
i have got to repent! it's four turns of space ritual for me!
rj