HW: Michael Moorcock (was The Quest for Levitation)

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Sun Jun 16 01:20:17 EDT 1996

Alex S. Garcia writes:

> Hmm... I've been wondering about something else. I'm surprised Moorcock
> himself hasn't written these lyrics. I was expecting to find his signature
> on these songs. I know he did write some songs (quite a few even, I believe
> ?) for HW, but which ones and on which albums ? (is there a list somewhere ?
> is that in the Codex ? if so, I've saved it in my hard drive so I could
> check...) I'd like to hear those cause the stuff he wrote for BOC are among
> my favorite BOC tunes... and he's a damn good lyricist !

Yeah - well you've just run up against one of the perennial Hawkwind
band problems.    The story is complicated and not yet fully told but I
think Chronicles of the Black Sword was one of those concept albums
where everyone in the band contributed.   Whether everyone got their
full entitled credits in the end I've no idea but certainly Moorcock had
some legal/financial problems and insisted that all his appearances in
the original Live Chronicles album were taken out.   He's in the video
but not the CD.   However the later Griffin release of Live Chronicles
restored him in his glory.

Moorcock's appearances start very early with Hawkwind - he was there at
the beginning and "Space Is Deep" is one of his poems (Doremi and Space
Ritual Alive).   If you look through our lyics archive, it lists most
authors where we know who they are.    He's also been involved in
other Hawkwind tracks eg. Running Through The Backbrain (not the best)
and Coded Languages (from Sonic Attack).

And as a PS:

I've got spare CD copies of Chronicles of the Black Sword (Dojo release)
Live Chronicles 2CD (Castle Communications) and Live Chronicles 2CD
Griffin re-issue (with restored MM contributions, in case anyone is
interested.     I've also got a Live Chronicles double vinyl spare as
well.   Don't ask why - I haven't got a clue how I've managed to amass
all these!    But if anyone wants to relieve me of them I'd be glad to
trade.

jill

PPS - and somewhere else there's also an archive list of all the
SF references that Hawkwind have put into either their lyrics or used
as titles.

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk