HW:space bandits

Guido Vacano gvacano at BEAVER.MBB.WESLEYAN.EDU
Sat Jun 15 21:17:29 EDT 1996

says--

> in 1990, i found space bandits in a mainstream record store,picked it
> up,fell in love.  about a week later,i heard on the radio that hw was
> coming to town.

My first album was Sonic Attack, because of the Mike Moorcock connection.
That was about 1982 I think.

> bam! i'm there.fantastic show,but lousy time,as one of my teeth was
> trying valiantly to leap out of my skull!

Dental problem, or bad acid? :-)

I saw them on the last tour in Denver. That was a great night!

> annyway- the jist of this is that space bandits might be considered
> responsible for my NEAR-religious dedication to the band.
> HOWEVER- i do not agree with your oppinion that this is a great moment
> in hw's history.in fact i think it borders on shameful.of course it has
> its good points,i still love it,but imo it just seems lazy.and while
> i like ron tree the person,i think it was a terrible piece of judgement
> that got him on the roster.i am still waiting to see some shred of
> talent to justify his presence.

I think Ron Tree adds a lot to the band, at least in concert. Brock and
Davey have this unfortunate tendency to hide behind equipment. Robert
Fripp is probably happier in the spotlight than they are! :-) Without Ron,
there'd be no front man. I think it will be interesting to see what
musical contributions he makes (if any).

>    huw-   i miss the hell out of huw. i think he sucks big-time solo,
> but i think hw was better for his input.i LIKE guitar leads,and brock
> only wants to play the machine that plays itself.

Huw was not a marvelous guitarist (which is actually a bit refreshing, in
a way), but I always enjoyed his solos. He wrote some really good tunes,
too (see Choose Your Masques and Sonic Attack).

>   damn! what am i saying?!? it sounds like i'm bashing the band! now
> i have got to repent! it's four turns of space ritual for me!

I'm not sure that's adequate penance. I think you need to listen to
"Adjust Me" twenty times, followed by Pink Floyd's "Bike". :-)

Guido

--
If nothing is done, then all will be well.  -- Lao Tse