HW: CotBS Lyrics

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Mon Jun 17 14:13:25 EDT 1996

>I've checked this. I've found those lyrics in "The Demise", between
>"Zarozinia" and "Sleep of a thousand tears". They are pretty much whispered,
>especially at the start.
>        But my sleeve gives me the following lyrics, which I can't seem to
>find anywhere in the songs :
>
>        Arioch, I summon thee, Lord of Seven Darks
>        Arioch, I summon thee, put fire in my heart
>        Arioch, I summon thee, can you hear my plea ?
>        Arioch, I summon thee in my hour of need
>
>I thought they should be in the track titled "Arioch", but this one
>apparently is an instrumental. So I'm puzzled !

Deal with it.  This stuff is akin to sleeve liner artwork, stuff that helps
set the mood and is relevant, but for whatever reason was edited out or not
done...  This is still far preferable to the vast majority of earlier albums
that didn't have lyrics at all.

FWIW, BOC also didn't list any lyrics until Extraterrestrial Live, and in
that, the song Black Blade (which was done prior to HW deciding to do CotBS)
lists lyrics that have about an extra line that isn't sung every verse.  So
this is keeping in that tradition, I guess....  The lyrics were listed with
these extra lines despite the fact that not only were they not sung on ET
Live, they weren't sung on the original Black Blade off Cultsaurus Erectus
some 3-4 years before, so you can't blame it on the sleeve being done before
the final version of the song was edited or stuff like that.  I believe the
lyrics listed are probably as Moorcock had written them, and Eric clipped
out some lines (he does that a bit, as in Subhuman) to make it fit the song
the way he wanted it.
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)