HW: first song (was 32 tracks)

Duane Hoyt aa5287 at FREENET.LORAIN.OBERLIN.EDU
Mon Jun 17 18:17:02 EDT 1996

>Andrew said...
>>
>> >Let me clarify that I was joking about "Good Morning" and "Zone", as those
>> >are tracks frequently slagged by HW fans here. I guess the song most likely
>> >to be heard first would be "Silver Machine", which, in most forms, shouldn't
>> >make too bad an impression.
>>
>> Well, I suppose we could start a slew of "first song heard" messages.
>> ("Lord of Light" was the first HW song I ever heard, it made an instant
>> convert....)
>
>Mine was 'Quark, Strangeness, and Charm' in 1980, and although that particular
>song wasn't really the one that instantly converted me to Hawkwindism, the
>album as a whole made me go out and buy 'Space Ritual'.  I was surprised at how
>different it was, but then I loved that one just as much (or more).  What
>finally sealed it was getting 'Levitation' on tape next, and listening to it
>virtually every night (on headphones, of course) for about six months.  Funny
>thing is, these first three albums I got are three of my current four
>favourites (the other being 'Warrior').
>
>I wouldn't think 'Silver Machine' would be the track of choice for a new
>listener, although it is certainly the most known.  I think LoL would be
>better, actually, but I would suggest '7 x 7' would be the best single track to
>represent HW to a new listener...it's got several different aspects of HW
>music/poetry in one piece.  Hassan I Sahba wouldn't be so bad either....
>
>Keith H. (FAA)
>
>ObAdvice:  'Mummy, Daddy, said to me....Get a job!'

Hello again,

THe first HW I ever heard was when WMMS played Sonic Attack and let it
run into Time We Left. It was being played to promo the upcoming show,
which I immediately ran out and bought tickets for. Since then I have
ALWAYS had Space Ritual in some form or another. Good thing cd's are
around, as I went through 3 SR albums, severly wearing them out up till
the cd release. And now that is been upgraded by the remasters! (3 down,
2 to go )

Duane

--
"There's a Starman waiting in the sky,