HW: The Quest for Levitation/Needlegun

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Tue Jun 18 04:43:15 EDT 1996

Chris Bates wrote:

> Andy trivia wrote:
>
> > Alex a demande:
> >
> > >One question : why is there a song called "Needle gun" ? I don't recall
> > >reading about a needle gun (or any kind of gun, for that matter) anywhere in
> > >Elric's Cycle... is my memory failing me ? :-(
> >
> > This what I wrote in the "trivia" file:
> > (see "http://www.pcmicro.com.au/~Sonique/Hawkwind/")
> >
> > ---
> > Needle Gun - actually refers to Jerry Cornelius, an alternate, contemporary
> > version of Elric.  *The Final Programme*, the first Cornelius story, is a
> > re-writing of *The Dreaming City* in modern dress, in which Jerry's needle
> > gun fills a similar role to Elric's sword Stormbringer.
> > ---
>
> This is half remembered from over a decade ago so don't laugh if I'm
> wrong... After the CotBS gig in Sheffield we hung around and had a word
> with Brock. Someone asked him about Needle Gun - was it a weapon that
> Elric used? Brock said that the song was about drugs.
>
> Make of this what you will, I make no claims for accuracy. Can you
> back me up on this Big Mike W? (You were there weren't you?).

OK. First of all, both Jerry Cornelius and Elric are (soul) junkies.
Cornelius used to shoot speed and heroin and snort cocaine. Both Elric
an Yrkoon had a black sword, Stormbringer and Mournblade, and both Frank
and Jerry Cornelius each had a black Needlegun (but they also used
vibraguns and heat guns). Like most of the Eternal Champion's weapons,
they were splinters of some evil, sentient hell-thing which plagued all
of the Eternal Champions to some extent, most noticably Cornelius and
Elric. Erokese had a poison black sword, and I believe Corum had a
"Moonsword" or some such thing. I've read about 35 of Moorcock's books
(years ago, tho') because I became so fascinated with the connections he
planted throughout the books. I believe these weapons are Moorcocks
metaphors for certain drugs being weapons against one's own inner
demons, but all to often with a bad catch in the end (if drugs are taken
for that reason alone- escape from oneself, they'll catch up with you in
the end). Don't get me wrong, I don't think Moorcock would be preaching
against drugs, and I wouldn't either. Its a matter of choice. Some drugs
are fun, some are tools and some just kill you. Depends on the
individual I suppose (and the Eternal Champions like Elric and Jerry
had enough problems to deal with). Jeez, I'm rambling, but hopefully
somebody knows what I'm trying to say!

BTW, I have the Jerry Cornelius-flick "The Final Programme" on tape...
weird little movie.

Christian