HW:Orgone Accumulator

Jean Lansford lansford at VNET.NET
Tue Jun 18 05:21:49 EDT 1996

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Andy Gilham wrote:

>The Hawkwind "trivia" file once again:
>
>---
>Orgone Accumulator - refers to the scientific theories of Dr Wilhelm Reich.
> In his theory, "orgone" was a vital force, permeating the universe, which
>could be collected in "orgone boxes", and used to cure certain diseases.
> This theory failed to gain widespread acceptance.  An orgone box is a sort
>of upright coffin made of alternate layers of metal and an insulator -
>sitting inside is supposed to charge up a person and cure a few ailments from
>the common cold to cancer.  Reich died in prison in the US prosecuted for
>promoting a fraudulent treatment.  He was very clearly mentally ill near the
>end of his life, and his persecution by the US Food and Drugs Authority,
>which resulted in his imprisonment, is a really shocking story.
>---

There's an "alternative therapy" place in the NC mountains that uses
"orgone blankets" as an accompaniment to massage therapy.

They were selling the blankets at a conference I attended several
years ago.  I'll post the address if I can find it; as I recall, they
also offered the blankets by mail order.

    Political campaigns have about them the same excitement as a
    prizefight.  Campaigns, however, are not nearly as orderly as
    professional boxing matches.       - Ansolabehere and Iyengar