HW: CotBS Lyrics

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Tue Jun 18 10:37:03 EDT 1996

SKARSOL writes:

> >         But my sleeve gives me the following lyrics, which I can't seem to
> > find anywhere in the songs :
> >
> >         Arioch, I summon thee, Lord of Seven Darks
> >         Arioch, I summon thee, put fire in my heart
> >         Arioch, I summon thee, can you hear my plea ?
> >         Arioch, I summon thee in my hour of need
> >
> > I thought they should be in the track titled "Arioch", but this one
> > apparently is an instrumental. So I'm puzzled !ok, i've found these words in my sleeve,but i assume they are merely there for
> atmosphere, as they are the only lyrics in the booklet without a title.    rj

If you have the Griffin release of _Chronicle of the Black Sword_
(which you almost certainly do, since all other CD releases of it that
I know of had mimimal liner notes, and certainly no lyrics), then be
aware that the illustrations and lyrics included in it are in fact a
black and white reproduction of the tour book of the _Chronicle of the
Black Sword_ tour.  The "summoning of Arioch" sequence was one of the
theatrical "spoken word" parts of the concert (like the summoning of
Magnu, the "drowning" of Elric, etc).  It's all on _Live Chronicles_,
but not on _Chronicle of the Black Sword_.

Although it's not totally relevant to the studio album, I thought it
was very nice of Griffin to reproduce the tour book as part of the
liner notes, for people who haven't had a chance to see the original.
It's too bad they didn't do a color reproduction, though.  Some of
the art is really beautiful.

I also thought it was very good of Griffin to include both the original
front and back color plates from the vinyl release of _CotBS_, even
though they *also* included a Robert Gould (sp?) cover of their own!

How on earth did Hawkwind actually manage to associate themselves with
such a great, conscientious record company?  Did Doug Smith fall
asleep at the wheel?

Steve
swann at panix.com