Amsterdam meeting point

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Tue Jun 18 20:31:10 EDT 1996

RJ,

>> For all your HW fans coming to the Amsterdam gig...
>> On the Leidseplein there's a bar / coffeeshop called The Bulldog. Everyone
>> knows that one. I'll be wearing a... (don't laugh) Red Dwarf t-shirt. It's
>> the most distinct t-shirt I have, I guess.

>> You can reach Leidseplein by tram from Central Station: lines 1, 2, and 5
>> to Leidseplein. When you get out at Leidseplein, cross the tram's rails
>> you see the Bulldog right in front of you. Can't miss it. We'll meet in
>> there.

>do you know where this is in relation to the nova hotel on nieuwezijds
>voorburgwal? not sure but i thiink it's the same area.

Trams 1, 2 and 5 all stop on the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, which is near
Central Station. From Central Station it takes about 10 minutes by tram. It
depends on where you get on the tram on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal; probably 5
to 8 minutes or so.
I don't know where Hotel Nova is exactly, but if it's on Nieuwezijds
Voorburgwal, you on the way!

>i'll be wearin a smile.;)
:-) I should be able to recognize!

See you there,
Jerry

PS. Let me try this...

(# = tram railway tracks)

                    Central Station
---- railway ----XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX---- railway --------------
                       ########
                       #      #
trams 1, 2 & 5         ########   X Info Centre
                       #
                       #
                       # Nieuwezijds
                       # Voorburgwal
                       #
                       #
                       #
                     ##  Spui (square)
                    #
  ##################
Leidse-
plein

When you exit Central Station you see the tram stops. Get on the 1, 2 or 5.
For the trams and buses, you need a "strippenkaart" (zone card) - obtainable
from the ticket-windows at Central Station, or at the Info Center right
across the street at Central Station.
The tram driver or conductor will stamp the zone cards, or you can use the
yellow stamp machines. I always stamp two zones for Leidseplein.

At the end of Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal is a square called Spui (impossible for
me write that down phonetically to let you know how to pronounce that). That
is about halfway to Leidseplein. From there you cross about three or four
canals befor you arrive at Leidseplein.