Off: space bandits!

Maxine Wesley mxw at DMU.AC.UK
Wed Jun 19 05:05:45 EDT 1996

From:    "Alex S. Garcia" <artefact at IMAGINET.FR>

Chris Bates wrote :

>>> Each HW member alone could not be considered a great musician, but it's
>>> like Brainstorming, the end result is a conglomeration of the talents
>>> of all the players.
>
>>A most excellent observation. And true of very many rock acts. Who ever
>>improved by going solo?

Lemmy?

+ Quite a few I'd imagine... when your work is not restricted to the
'image' and style of the band you leave.... I expect some will disagree but
I'd suggest Roger Waters.... 3 brilliant albums (Pro's
and Cons of Hitchhiking, Radio Kaos, Amused To Death) although not
neccesarily 'better' than his work with Pink Floyd (esp. Dark Side of
the Moon) but they're good in their own right. Likewise the rest of Pink
Floyd improved probably because they had to get creative again. Some of
his work 'strays' a little from the path of good taste but most is
comprehensive.

>Bryan Ferry ?

I'd vote for Brian Eno - his solo and project work was in a different
realm to his work with Roxy Music (he also worked on Captain Lockheed,
various U2, Talking Heads, with Robert Fripp and so on and on and on...)

Then there was that Dave Brock album..... :)

Maxine