Off: space bandits!

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Wed Jun 19 05:55:31 EDT 1996

Maxine wrote:

> Chris Bates wrote :
>
> >>A most excellent observation. And true of very many rock acts. Who ever
> >>improved by going solo?
>
> Lemmy?

Well I don't think Lemmy went solo. By solo work I mean work outside a
regular band structure. That is a situation in which an individual
gains total artistic control over the material. Lemmy didn't and doesn't
have that in Motorhead. Motorhead is another band situation and their
best work has been when a synergistic relationship has been established
(e.g. Lemmy, Phil Taylor and Fast Eddie).

> + Quite a few I'd imagine... when your work is not restricted to the
> 'image' and style of the band you leave.... I expect some will disagree but
> I'd suggest Roger Waters....

< hack, cough, splutter > ROTFL. Roger Waters solo albums. Good? I
think not, indeed I can't even mention Roger Waters and the _G_
word in the same sentence.

> 3 brilliant albums (Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking, Radio Kaos, Amused
> To Death) although not neccesarily 'better' than his work with Pink Floyd

No, stop. you're killing me. Brilliant? Ha! They wouldn't have even had
a release if he'd not made a name for himself in the Floyd.

> Likewise the rest of Pink
> Floyd improved probably because they had to get creative again.

And of course they didn't have the ego of La Roger to overcome. Look
how long it took Wright, surely the most musically gifted, to play again
after Roger ruined his self-confidence.

Chris