Off: Waters sucks, Floyd better without him!

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Wed Jun 19 09:52:07 EDT 1996

>>And of course they didn't have the ego of La Roger to overcome. Look
>>how long it took Wright, surely the most musically gifted, to play again
>>after Roger ruined his self-confidence.
>
>How did he do that? I don't know any of this.

This is really getting off topic, better for a floyd list.  Roger accused
Nick of not pulling his weight in the band.  While working on the Wall
(which he wrote almost entirely by himself in seclusion), he threatened to
withhold the master tapes if Rick didn't go.  Apparently Dave and Nick had
lost a bit of money in bad investments and couldn't risk not having this
album come out, so they went along with it, with the understanding that Rick
would leave immediately following the Wall Tour.  As late as a year after
TFC, when interviewed, Gilmour still wouldn't talk openly about it.  After
Roger officially shut down, and Dave and Nick restarted, they brought Rick
in for the MLoR tour as a hired hand.  He didn't have any hand in the
writing of that album, with Gilmour doing most of the piano work.   If you
look at the credits, they list his name after Dave and Nick, in smaller
print.  At some point after that they reinstated him as a full member of the
band, and his presence added much to The Division Bell.

>Irrespective of any personality problems, *surely* Waters is viewed as
>the most important member of the Floyd?

A conclusion he definitely came to...

But enough of this.  Cymbaline aside, there's no real connection with the
hawks or the oysters that I know of, so...
Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)