HW : HLL or not?

gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK
Wed Jun 19 17:28:57 EDT 1996

>When Alex was asking where to begin, I was just thinking how much I
>missed Huw's sound actually! Compare the _excellant_ Xenon Codex (which
>you should try, Alex) to Business Of the Future, Space Bandits or even
>Alien 4. I couldn't see Huw's departure as anything but a loss.
>
>--
>Jon Browne

Yeah, I love some of the stuff on Xenon. Don't get me wrong, I really like
some of HLL's HW stuff (I'm speaking in code now!), though for me, the band
improved greatly without him. Stuff like Moonglum for example I think is
great, but I definitely tired of his guitar on some of the older songs when
played live. There are some songs that are actually better when they're kept
to the basics, and HLL often seemed to add too much lead. Then again, some
people *want* loads of lead!
  Actually, another reason may be that it was the 80's HLL HW (arrgh, I'm
doing it again) that I first got into, so maybe I'm just tired of his sorta
stuff? But even taking that into consideration, I still think they're far
better *now*.
  As an aside, I have to admit that two of the most boring gigs I've ever
been at have been HLL solo shows! I didn't learn my lesson first time, and
went to see him again a few years later...just as bad! Not my cup of tea at
all me old china. Seems like a decent geezer tho'!!

Dave