HW : HLL or not?

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jun 20 04:48:47 EDT 1996

In message <199606192128.WAA17615 at easynet.co.uk>,
gingoblin at EASYNET.CO.UK writes
>Yeah, I love some of the stuff on Xenon. Don't get me wrong, I really like
>some of HLL's HW stuff (I'm speaking in code now!), though for me, the band
>improved greatly without him. Stuff like Moonglum for example I think is
>great, but I definitely tired of his guitar on some of the older songs when
>played live. There are some songs that are actually better when they're kept
>to the basics, and HLL often seemed to add too much lead. Then again, some
>people *want* loads of lead!

Moonglum, what a track! Rocky Paths, another favorite... hmmm....yes,
count me in the loads of lead brigade. I mean, sure, I don't like
noodling or hours of interminable widdly-widdly-wee-wee-WEE! In fact,
Huw got it just about right, I reckon!
>  Actually, another reason may be that it was the 80's HLL HW (arrgh, I'm
>doing it again) that I first got into, so maybe I'm just tired of his sorta
>stuff?
That's fair enough. I tend to skip about sometimes '74 line-up,
sometimes Electric Tepee period. Right now though, I think I'm tending
towards early '80's HM HLL HW! <coded grin>

>But even taking that into consideration, I still think they're far
>better *now*.

As good, but better?
>  As an aside, I have to admit that two of the most boring gigs I've ever
>been at have been HLL solo shows! I didn't learn my lesson first time, and
>went to see him again a few years later...just as bad! Not my cup of tea at
>all me old china. Seems like a decent geezer tho'!!

Agreed there, alright! I saw him at the Brentford Red Lion with
Mournblade supporting. They blew HLL away that night. I think all 5 of
us in the audience agreed.

--
Jon Browne