HW: Brixton

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Jun 22 14:05:27 EDT 1996

> I've been seeing the Ozrics on and off for 15
> years. Christ, my (long since defunct) band gigged with them dozens of
> times and , great blokes etc., they aren't 5% of the band the Hawks are,
> never will be.

        To an extent, I agree.  I like the Ozrics a lot, but they don't
carry the interest for me of Hawkwind.  I mean, I was absolutely
grooving through the OT set, and there were some amazing moments.
In some ways, I can see how it was better than HW, though overall for
me Hawkwind was more exciting.

> I don't think I'm upsetting too many people on this list,
> but I cannot believe how many people are into this outfit and have never
> heard of Gong / Hillage etc.  I mean "Eternal Wheel" you just mentioned,
> that's from a Gong lyric for a start.

        I've heard a fair bit of Gong and Hillage--I actually have
_Fish Rising_ on CD, and that's a great album.  Although ultimately,
I think I like OT better than Gong/Hillage.

> I doubt if there were many US Ozrics fans who flew in for the show last
> night!

        Actually, I wouldn't be _utterly_ surprised.  The Ozrics have
a dedicated following in the States, many of whom have joined since the
last tour, or who couldn't make the previous tours.  Since no one knows
if/when the Ozrics will hit the States again I could see it happening.
        Even so, I don't think it would have the pilgramage aspects that
it does for our listmembers.  Even counting OT's origins in the early
80s, they're still a young band compared to HW, and the never played the
States at all until a couple of years back.  Not the same as coming to
England all these years after the SR tour to the States in 73!

        I believe I heard Ron announce a thanks to our listmembers who
came from the States at the end of the show :)

> >HW were scheduled for 90 minutes and as best I can estimate
> >played around 110 or so.  More than 90, anyway ;)
>
> It seemed like 10. ;(

        Man, you better be glad you weren't at the NYC show last year.
What was that?  65? 75 minutes?  There were nearly riots :P

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)