BOC : The Goldmine Story

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Sat Jun 22 15:54:15 EDT 1996

Hey all,

I'm sorry to bring this thread back up but I just received my copy of the
Goldmine article (thanks again Manuel ! :-) and finished reading it (took me
a few hours *grin*). I just can't refrain from commenting !

First off, I found it fascinating, interesting and very informative. There
are a few things, though, which disappointed me. NOT the fact that no real
explanation was given to Al being fired (as John, I wasn't really surprised
about that), but rather things like :
        1) no mention is made whatsoever to Michael Moorcock (and I believe
no one else has commented this on the list). They even go upfront saying
that "Veteran of the psychic wars" was "written by Bloom" ?!?!? and this is
backed up by Joe himself who adds : "I think it's Eric's best song"... what
the @#!@$ ??? I love that song, but to not give credit to Moorcock seems a
heresy to me ! And if this is supposed to tell BOC's History, then it really
would have been interesting to read on how the band had met MM...
        2) and I also noticed that "Godzilla" is only once briefly
mentioned, whereas I always thought that song to be one of the band's most
famous... I think it would have deserved further coverage.
        3) and no mention is made (except in the discography) of "Bad
Channels" and how the band got involved in the project. This, too, would
have been an interesting story to hear... especially after reading the
band's comments on the "Heavy Metal" experience !

OTOH, what I liked most in this article was the fact that its author didn't
(seem to) take position. He just plainly stated some facts (however
frustrating that may be) and quoted band members without getting into the
details. But I think that's how it should be. As someone said before (I
think it was John ?) the details on the whys and hows are private matters
which only the concerned need (and should) be privy to.

All in all, still a very enjoyable read...

Alex S. Garcia.

ARTEFACT EDITIONS (http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/index.htm)
Generation Scenario
      (la revue de l'ecriture scenaristique / the magazine of screenwriting)
      http://www.imaginet.fr/~artefact/genscen/genscen.htm
Icarus - Encyclopedie de l'Imaginaire
The Icarus Encyclopedia of Fantasy & Science-Fiction
      http://www.Catch22.com/~icarus/