BOC : The Goldmine Story

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Sat Jun 22 21:12:15 EDT 1996

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Andrew A. Apold wonders:

> I thought it mentioned someone saying that Eric was a fan of his and sought
> him out.  Or maybe it was some other interview....  I'd be more interested in
> knowing how their relationship ended; they had three good songs on con-
> secutive albums, and then I heard that Moorcock wrote the lyrics for another
> song that they ended up ditching for some reason in favor of... can't recall
> which RBN song it was, "Light Years of Love"?  Anyways, soon after, those
> lyrics showed up in a Hawkwind song (memory check:  "Sleep of a thousand
> tears?"), HW does an entire concept album based on Moorcock stuff and he
> joins them for the LC performance....    Did they do something that drove
> him away and may have resulted in him getting back in touch with HW???

I think the thing they did was (surprise, surprise) not to pay him for
the work he did.  I remember this as the reason cited by Moorcock in an
old _Interzone_ interview, and, I believe, it was reiterated in the
tape interview that listmembers (I think) Jill and FoFP did.  (Is that
interview archived anywhere?)  I could be wrong, though.

Btw, I agree that it's pretty despicable the way Bloom seems to have
usurped the credit for "Veterans..."

> The FAQ mentions Bloom and Moorcock doing two songs together (Black
> Blade and Veterans) at a Science Fiction convention in 1987, which would
> be after the CotBS tour, I think, so it doesn't seem to be any ill feeling
> between
> the two....

Similarly, I have a recollection of Moorcock saying he wouldn't work with
them again.  I guess it's a case of once bitten, twice shy...

Mind you, Bloom must be a pretty big fan of Moorcock's.  Didn't he buy
the film rights to the Elric stories?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Material, _Live in Japan_