HW: Brixton, Brentwood and onwards

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 24 01:06:11 EDT 1996

Right, well I've done my bit of the tour - couldn't make it to Guildford
unfortunately but when last seen Bill Stewart and partner and Ron
?Jennings and partner were looking fit and well and making plans to
head out that way tonight - they should just about be getting back now!
It was good to meet up with all the folk I did meet and sorry to miss
whoever I didn't catch.

Hawkwind were pretty awesome at both venues - there was a more extensive
light show (not as intense as the Ozrics but more varied) at Brentwood
but otherwise the set was the same.   I *think* this is it:

Psi Power
Blue Skin
Steppenwolf
Hassan I Sahba/Space is their Palestine
Sputnik Stan
Xenomorph
Blue shift
Love In Space
Aerospaceage Inferno
Silver Machine
Welcome
(encore) Secret Agent
Abducted (I think it's this track - will have to check)

It started fairly moderately with Psi Power and then was a really
powerful sound up until Blue shift.   Steppenwolf had tremendous drive
behind it and Ron Tree didn't try to present the song in the same way
Calvert would have done.   He dressed up in a wolf skin (only he had to
hold the nose up away from the microphone the whole time!) but sang the
words fierce and fast and absolutely straight with the beat.   It was
excellent.    Space Is Their Palestine just gets better each time it
comes across with more levels being added all the time and even
Xenomorph came across well with a really powerful surging rhythm.   Blue
Shift slowed everything down though and it stayed that way for a long
time which (at Brixton) gave the trapeze artist time to do her stuff
(very effective too - I'm glad she got some applause at the end) and at
Guildford there were a couple of acrobatic dancers on stage throughout.
Aerospaceage Inferno is a terrific track - I really, really like that
one - magnificent - and then a good fast Silver Machine.    The encores
were a bit disappointing - Secret Agent rambles and ?Abducted with its
long descriptions doesn't really send people away jumping with
enthusiasm but in all it was an excellent show.

Best audience particupation was during Steppenwolf and Silver Machine
and (at Brixton) calling for the encore!

Venue negatives:   Brixton - the rubber floormats (don't sit down) and
at Brentwood the slowness of bar service (20 mins wait to get a half
pint which we had to drink in seconds when the band appeared on time
since no drinks could be taken into the show itself!) and the
seriousness of the security guys (who I feared were going to insist
on everyone sitting down decorously in their seats - there'd have been a
riot!).   One of them even tried to tell Trev Hughes he wasn't allowed
to stand next to the stage - but that error was gently explained to him!

Oh - and Kris Tait and friend did the fireeating/flamethrowing and other
firey performance to keep up all awake, concentrating and warm.

Think that's all.   I'm going to sleep now....

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk