HW: US vs. European Releases

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Mon Jun 24 05:16:27 EDT 1996

Johan Edlundh wrote:

> hi,
> while browsing the Griffin pages,
> http://www.griffinmusic.com/text/h-q.htm
> I've found those items has completely different artwork from the original
> european releases:
>
> Live Chronicles
> Chronicles of the Black Sword
> This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic
> Undisclosed Files: Addendum      (just *slightly* different)
> Quark, Strangeness and Charm
> Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
> Mighty Hawkwind Classics
> Friends & Relations: The Rarities
> Best of Hawkwind, Friends and Relations

Also, their "Church of Hawkwind" sleeve is different, I believe (I'm
not sure, but I think the tracks appear in a different order than the
original as well). Some of the Griffin ones have bonus tracks, I think.
I do prefer the original artwork though, since I find most of Griffin's
own artwork somewhat tacky and obviously computer generated..... I mean,
 if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Why change some of the classic album
covers just because they are re-releases? Perhaps Griffin is cashing in
as much as possible on the collector's market with this tactic???

> the last one seems also to have different tracklist than the Emporio/Anagram
> version - ICU/Space Invaders and HW/Psy Power is missing on the Griffin one.

I have 3 "Best of Friends and Relations" CDs.... the Griffin ones are
probably just a different US versions of them with slightly different
tracks.

> Is it a web page fault, or is this a case for the Codex?
>
> the last two - f&r related - has a quite high catalouge number, and I've not
> heard anybody spot them - is those out yet?
> Yup, I got 'em both,  (but I'm not sure if one of them is a Griffin
version).

Christian