Hawk Fairies: Purple Haze - a 2 word review

Dr Pepper (they call me Mister Pibb) M.S.Wright at READING.AC.UK
Mon Jun 24 07:07:42 EDT 1996

Very Poor

Entitled Pinkwind return as... The Hawk Fairies, Purple Haze

Recorded Peterborough, 15 April 1995

People
Nik Turner Vocals and Sax
Twink Drums
Judge Trev Guitar & backing vocals
Dani Speakman Guitar & backing vocals
Commander Johnny Coupland Lead Guitar
Danger Sun Bass
Captain Rick Trumpet
Captain Jim Hawkman Keyboards and synth
Sarah Wayne Special guest backing vocals

all songs arranged by pinkwind, produced by twink, released on twink
records TWK CD5

tracks
Masters of the universe (universe, more like puniverse, so poor is this)
Space rock 1999 and 7 months (7 months before they find a tune worth
jamming to more like, for goodness sake people, listen to the others in
the band when you're jamming - that is the whole point of it instead of
noodling away pleasing yourself)
Thoth (over 11 minutes of it, i ask you)
Brainstorm (6mins 40, and some terrible vocals)
Foxy lady (who needs Hendrix when you can have a trumpet solo *and* Nik
singing) (almost 8 minutes of pub cover band embarrassment)
Purple Haze (well, this is almost as good as the version of foxy lady)
D rider (the high spot of the album for me, well worth spending over 99
pence on) (over 8 minutes of something they sound as if they have practiced)
Stormbringer (the instrumental bit at the end of d-rider)

Again this album is marred by poor recording/mixing. I tried listening to
it loud, and that didn't help.

i know I have got into a habit of slagging off this incarnation of Nik &
Twink, but I always feel a bit disappointed by the total crapness of it.
I mean I don't like Bring me the Head due to it's terrible recording and
poor performance of the songs on it, and this is similar. Live recordings
that should never see the light of day.

I'm probably so vitriolic because I thought it would be poor, but went
ahead and bought it anyway, so have been played for a fool, and lots of
bocl members saw that I had bought it and now the sad depths I stoop to.
Maybe this will cure me of buying anything on Twink records, but sad to
say I doubt it. At least I didn't buy the Twink and Mouse CD, from Pink to
Blues, which had no ex-Hawks on it to tempt me into making a fool of myself.

Yours, somewhat happier that this is all out in the open

Mike w