HW: Brixton, Brentwood and onwards

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 24 08:42:03 EDT 1996

Carl wrote

>        Yup :)  On my tape you can distinctly here Jon bellowing "MORE
>YOU FUCKERS! MORE!"  And that's only the tip of the iceberg in recorded-
>for-posterity-bocl-participation :)  Luckily, most of the singing is
>actually on key ... ;)  More on the tapes in a bit ...

Oh Lord...  I was next to Carl for quite a lot of the gig...  Well, maybe you
can add it to the covers tape :)

>Sometimes, I think their latest directions
>sucks the big burning bouncy bubonic one, but there's always a good
>chance that that their next move will be cool.

Well, that the thing with Hawkwind, isn't it, just when you've written them
off as crap, they blow your mind with a totally excellent gig or album!

I was probably the only person at the gig Friday who hadn't heard much Ozrics
before!  I thought they were basically a good old-fashioned freakout band
with a few techno tricks up their sleeve - and a lot tighter than most
freakout bands used to be! - but I was a bit too knackered after HW to really
enjoy them (though not as knackered as a certain friend of Fernando Poo, who
seemed to sleep through most of their set :).

- Andy