BOC : The Goldmine Story

Ted Jackson jr. TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Mon Jun 24 19:39:43 EDT 1996

> Alex S. Garcia wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm sorry to bring this thread back up but I just received my copy of the
> > Goldmine article (thanks again Manuel ! :-) and finished reading it (took me
> > a few hours *grin*). I just can't refrain from commenting !
> >
> > First off, I found it fascinating, interesting and very informative. There
> > are a few things, though, which disappointed me. NOT the fact that no real
> > explanation was given to Al being fired (as John, I wasn't really surprised
> > about that), but rather things like :

Right.  It would've taken too much ink to get both sides down on
paper anyway, and likely have bogged down the whole story.

> >         1) no mention is made whatsoever to Michael Moorcock (and I believe
> > no one else has commented this on the list). They even go upfront saying
> > that "Veteran of the psychic wars" was "written by Bloom" ?!?!? and this is
> > backed up by Joe himself who adds : "I think it's Eric's best song"... what
> > the @#!@$ ??? I love that song, but to not give credit to Moorcock seems a
> > heresy to me ! And if this is supposed to tell BOC's History, then it really
> > would have been interesting to read on how the band had met MM...

Agree again.  Not being much of a sci-fi fan, I know nothing of MM.
I would've liked some background info.  How he and EB met, started
working together, etc.

> >         2) and I also noticed that "Godzilla" is only once briefly
> > mentioned, whereas I always thought that song to be one of the band's most
> > famous... I think it would have deserved further coverage.

Maybe 'cause the tune's somewhat of a cliche?  Kind of a novelty
tune.  [Relax, flame warriors, I happen to like the tune myself, but
I get the idea the song's likely been talked to death, and unlike
Reaper, which operates on many different levels, 'Zilla is a bit more
one-dimensional]

> >         3) and no mention is made (except in the discography) of "Bad
> > Channels" and how the band got involved in the project. This, too, would

First I'd heard of 'Bad' was seeing it in a store.  Granted, this was
before joining BOC-L.  But really, those tunes don't get much
discoussion on BOC-L.  Is it covered in the FAQ?

> > have been an interesting story to hear... especially after reading the
> > band's comments on the "Heavy Metal" experience !

Again, I know next to nothing of that either.  Again, in the FAQ?

> > OTOH, what I liked most in this article was the fact that its author didn't
> > (seem to) take position. He just plainly stated some facts (however
> > frustrating that may be) and quoted band members without getting into the
> > details. But I think that's how it should be. As someone said before (I
> > think it was John ?) the details on the whys and hows are private matters
> > which only the concerned need (and should) be privy to.

It's tough to get all the angles.  Too, 'cause Al is a BOC-L member,
I think we all tend to take his side somewhat.  I imagine if he'd
been a choir boy scout, the band would've wanted him to stay along a
bit more.

\> > All in all, still a very enjoyable read...

> > Alex S. Garcia.

Right you are!

theo