What's Progressive?

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Tue Jun 25 05:32:23 EDT 1996

I always considered progressive music to be music that involves the
listener's participation more than other types of music.... the kind of
music you can just sit down and listen to, analyse, swish about in your
brain like a fine wine over and over.... Its not a style, but it has a
certain intelligence to it that you don't necessarily find in most
run-of-the mill pop-rock shlock..... Its not just background music, it
has an added dimension and experimental edge. People tend to think of
prog as being only the pompous ELP and Yes type stuff because of the
quasi-classical influence. I think progressive music is any kind of
music you can sit down and get lost in.... be it classical, jazz, rock,
ambient... whatever.

BTW, what do Henry Cow sound like?

Christian