The Cyberspace Interviews

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Jun 25 08:10:53 EDT 1996

> >         Apart from the obvious HawkGrumbles ;)  I'd quite like to know
> > what album plans Hawkwind have for the future--what kind of things
> > they're thinking of doing.  For example, are they ever going to
> > resurrect the Earth Ritual concept?  I think that would be great, and
> > that its time has come.
>
> What exactly *was* the Earth Ritual supposed to be??  Nothing on the EP seemed
> to be particularly cohesive - in fact, it was just a few songs about all sorts
> of things....I would've thought this idea would've been more like what was on
> 'Church of Hawkwind'...you know, Fall of Earth City and such.

        Actually, I only have a hazy recollection of the ERP EP :)  I was
just working off the concept of SR, about people zipping about in space and
lots of groovy sounding mystical stuff about space, and think something
based on Earth with the same rationale would be cool.  To a certain extent
"Night of the Hawks" and "Green Finned Demon" (both from ERP, yes?) wouldn't
be a million miles away from that.  Dave could get into his interests in
Native American stuff, and volcanos in Hawaii and that.  I think far out
songs of "weird earth topics" (stone circles, crop circles, ley lines, etc.)
would be cool (Stonehenge) and very Hawkwindish.  You could even tie-in
to SR with Orgone Accumulator, would be equally appropriate on ER as it
would on SR ...

        Well, I think it would be cool anyway.  Hawkwind are at their best
with concepts (Doremi/SR, Warrior, CotBS, Alien ...) and I think this
would be one that suited them.  Yeah, OK, it has its corny side but
nearly _everything_ from Hawkwind has its corny side.  That is what
makes it great--depending on how the listener approaches it can be
amazingly sublime or mindlessly inane :)  Getting the frame on mind on
for HW is part of the journey ...

        Right, now _I'M_ getting more inane than usual ... :)  Time to
leave of for the moment ...

> ObCD - Love in Space - where the hell are the discs???  They gotta be in here
> somewhere???  Oh, there they are....now how the hell do I get them out??

        Beam them up ;)

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)